Pet Toxins That Are Already In Your Home

Just about every typical home already contains a few potential pet poisons—it’s simply unavoidable. The trick is being aware of the danger and preventing your pet from ever getting into harm’s way. Learn more below from your Upper Arlington veterinarian.

Cleaning Products

Have you checked out your supply closet lately? All sorts of household cleaning products are potentially dangerous to pets, especially curious animals who aren’t very selective about what they decide to swallow. Surface cleaners, disinfectants, solvents, bleach, and more all contain harmful ingredients. Make sure these products are placed on the highest shelf of the closet or cabinet in which they’re stored, and always keep the door locked. Be sure to read the usage directions on all cleaning chemicals to be safe.

Toxic Plants

The list of potentially toxic houseplants is quite long. It includes the lily flower, aloe plant, azalea, rubber plant, the sago palm, the daffodil, the tulip, and many more. Dispose of any dangerous plant life in or around your home, and have a discussion with your veterinarian for a more complete list of toxic plants that are common in your area.

Human Food

Don’t forget that many human foods are dangerous to pets, and some are even toxic. Chocolate, candy and gum, grapes and raisins, onions, and avocado are some of the most common dangers. In addition, too much fatty food at once could lead to pancreatitis. Always keep any dangerous foods far out of your pet’s reach.

Medications

Many human medications, such as painkillers, antidepressants, prescription drugs, and over-the-counter medications, have toxic properties for pets. Plus, an overdose of a pet’s own medications can prove deadly. Always keep medicine bottles locked up safely where pets can’t reach them. Remember—a determined pet can chew right through a bottle’s child-proof lid and swallow the contents.

Pesticides

Do you use chemical products to ward off insect or rodent pests in your home? Don’t forget that these chemicals can prove poisonous to our companion animals as well as the pests we’re trying to prevent. Use extreme caution when placing rat poison, insecticides, or other toxic pest traps around your home, and ask your veterinarian about pet-safe alternatives that may work.

If your pet does ingest something toxic despite your best efforts, don’t hesitate to act. Bring your pet to your Upper Arlington veterinary hospital right away for proper treatment.